Friday, July 25, 2008

Big Day

I am turning 36 today. Since I was one of the youngest in the class, I expect that most of you have already reached that milestone. I don't think too much about the passage of time as it relates to my age, but my face is really starting to show it. I remember when my mom was this age, because it is the age she was when I first met most of you. I have a son that is going to be a Freshman this year.

I look at myself and I see my mother's forehead, but my husband complains about me having "outdated" bangs--Hello! at least I don't try to make them stand straight up anymore. Unlike my mom at this age, I fortunately don't have grey hairs, but how noticeable would that be in strawberry blonde hair?

I don't have a problem with getting old, it's just the fact that I am certainly no longer what I remember myself as when I knew all of you so well--young.

Maybe I have lost some stupidity in the process. Maybe I am less naive (but not much). I think I'm finally an adult.

5 comments:

Johnny likes-them-cars-alot said...

Janika,
Congratulations on having another birthday. At your advanced age, that is quite an accomplishment.
You sound like you are aging well (like a fine wine?). You make me feel much older now, 'cause I see some gray hairs when I look in the mirror. I guess I am lucky I still have hair and I certainly look nothing like my mother when she was my age.

Anonymous said...

Not sure what happened, but that comment was from John T. in sunny Eugene, OR

Christian Howarth said...

I almost feel your pain. One of my coworkers (20 something) asked me about disco the other day...

I STILL don't have to shave, and I got carded trying to buy a lighter this morning.

I haven't gotten older looking, but I HAVE gotten fatter.

Wanna trade?

thomsabol said...

I turned 37 yesterday (NO WAY). It's hard to believe the math.

the experience, weight gain, loss of hair, funny wrinkles, kids ages 8 & 9, etc attests to the age though (WAY).

I have been explaining to my kids that most of the songs that they like right now are 1980's remakes "crazy frog" etc (DUDE).

anyway congratulations on your birthday. i got a card with a firefighter on the front. instead of the card singing happy birthday it made a fire truck sound when i opened it up (something about the candles being a fire hazard).

my birthday was "KILLER" and "RIGHTEOUS". i hope yours was "TOTALLY AWESOME"

Janika said...

Thanks guys, I knew you'd understand.